Thursday, January 3, 2008

Baby Things.

Lately I've been researching some baby products that I would like.

First of all, cloth diapers. After hours and hours of looking at reviews and chatting with cloth diaper fanatics, I have decided which diapers I would most like to have for the baby. I'll include links so you can look at these items (and buy them for us, if you feel so inclined :) ).

1. Monkey Doodlez - Micro Doodlez All-in-one diapers. Size small.
http://www.monkeydoodlez.com/store/WsAncillary.asp?ID=3
2. BumGenius 3.0 one size pocket diapers.
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=1282

Why cloth diapers? They are better for the baby- not so much chlorine and bleach soaking into their little systems. Better for the environment- it takes hundreds of years for a plastic diaper to start decomposing. Saves money- the start-up cost is more, but you end up saving thousands because you don't have to keep buying and throwing away diapers. Babies diapered in cloth tend to potty train faster- the cloth does not pull all of the moisture away from baby, which will make baby uncomfortable and therefore not want to poop/pee in it's diaper. And... they are just too dang cute. Fun colors and stuff. Way better than those boring white ones.

The other thing I've been looking at a lot lately is BPA free bottles and pacifiers. BPA is in polycarbonate plastics and releases artificial estrogens that mimic our bodies natural hormones and screw with babies reproductive and endocrine systems. A lot of people do not believe this, but my anatomy and physiology teacher told us about it a few years ago in college and showed us a video where they did experiments on animals and stuff and it really messed with the animal babies... which makes me think that I'd rather play it safe and use BPA free bottles than risk hurting my baby's body systems. Here's an article on this if you are interested:
http://thegreenguide.com/reports/product.mhtml?id=55
So here are some of the bottles/pacifiers I found:

1. Nuby Non-Drip BPA free bottles. Cute and cheap!
http://www.diapersetc.com/products/bpa-free-non-drip-baby-bottle.html

2. Green to Grow BPA free bottles. Also very cute, but not quite as cheap.
http://www.diapersetc.com/products/green-to-grow-bpa-free-baby-bottle.html

3. Nuby Gel Pacifiers. These are also pretty cheap and very cute. I personally like the pink/purple combo the best, but seriously, they are all very cute.
http://www.diapersetc.com/products/gel-pacifier.html

I also was just noticing today that Target carries some Medela storage and feeding bottles that are BPA free and I am going to add them to my target gift registry tonight. These are nice because you can freeze breast milk in them and then just warm them up in the bottle and feed baby! Handy. But these are a little more expensive I think. But the freezer storage bottles just seem very handy to me. Here is a link to our Target registry online, but I must admit, I do change it fairly frequently as I do more research and get new recommendations from friends and family. But anyways, here it is: http://www.target.com/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=gp_re_registry/601-8227581-5574504?ie=UTF8&sort=taxonomy&type=babyreg&id=2S2FR2NT8QHBR&msgid=&jsebd=1&message=&pageNum=1&view=owner

So, as you can tell, I spend the majority of my time looking up baby stuff and reading peoples baby blogs and just talking about babies. This has made me very boring to my friends, who do not have babies and are not pregnant. But with my new job starting on Monday, perhaps I will have newer, better stories and things to talk about and people will stop checking their watch and rolling their eyes while I'm talking to them. Also, I'll probably have less time to spend researching all of this stuff. So maybe it's good that I've been using my time this way, seeing as how I may not have the time and energy to do it after I start working.

That's all I've got for tonight.

Breezy




5 comments:

breckster said...

We love Nuby, and Medela in our house. I considered cloth diapers, but I was working full-time and my husband was not supportive of the idea. Hopefully with child number 2 we will have a washer and I won't be working full-time outside the home so I can try better.

Wholesome Annie said...

new job??? what is said job?? i just got back into minnesota so we should have a date soon!!! i don't get bored by your baby and/or pregnancy stories - i LOVE them and i love you! :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet choice on the cloth diapers. They are so much cheaper than disposables.

Unknown said...

I wonder if there are other BHA free plastics out there that are more safe for microwaving and hot washing- I never thought to research it until now. I would like lunch containers that didn't pump my family full of synthetic estrogens. Also... on the diapers... Jasper used the prefolds and as you know they worked really well, so you may not need to spend the bucu bucks on the all-in-ones. The only recommendation on the prefolds is- don't buy too many smalls, infact just borrow smalls from me, they are useless too quickly in the big picture.

Breezy said...

I have also been looking at the pre-folds and that is probably what we'll end up doing if we don't get these as gifts. But I think Joe is uncomfortable with cloth diapering in general, so I thought all-in-one's might be an easier transition for him.

Also, there are a lot of BPA free things I found when I really looked. I'll send you a link if I can find them again!